Volunteer Position Description
Title: Youth Social Group Assistant
Program: Youth Activities Program
Hours: Every Thursday 2:45pm – 5:15pm
Location: Based at ICYS – 17 Thorn Street IPSWICH 4305
ICYS Ipswich Community Youth Service is a not-for-profit community based organisation that supports and assists at risk young people aged 12-25, their families and their communities to identify their strengths, make positive decisions and become active citizens. For 30 years, ICYS has been providing support and assistance to young people based on individual need including assistance with educational engagement, housing and homelessness, vocational training, disability support, information, referral, advocacy, practical assistance, drop-in, emergency relief and recreational activities in Ipswich and the surrounding regions.
Each year ICYS provides direct services to approximately 6000 young people across 4 Local Government Areas (Ipswich City, Lockyer Valley, Somerset and Scenic Rim Regional areas).
The ICYS Youth Social Group is an informal activities based group catering predominately to young people between the ages of 11 – 19 with intellectual disabilities as well as those with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Asperger’s and ADHD. The Youth Social Group Assistant will support staff with the planning and operational aspects of the group.
• Assist with preparing activity materials and afternoon tea
• Supervise and interact with young people
• Purchase activity materials as required
• Assist with other duties as required
General Skills / Qualifications:
• Good interpersonal skills
• Confident working with young people with disabilities
• Must have or be eligible to obtain a Working With Children Blue Card (Blue Cards are available free of charge to eligible volunteers)