Volunteer Position Description
Title: Youth Mentor
Program: ICYS Administration
Hours: Weekly basis – afternoons
Location: Based at ICYS – 17 Thorn Street IPSWICH 4305
ICYS Ipswich Community Youth Service is a not-for-profit community based organisation that supports and assists at risk young people aged 12-25, their families and their communities to identify their strengths, make positive decisions and become active citizens. For 30 years, ICYS has been providing support and assistance to young people based on individual need including assistance with educational engagement, housing and homelessness, vocational training, disability support, information, referral, advocacy, practical assistance, drop-in, emergency relief and recreational activities in Ipswich and the surrounding regions.
Each year ICYS provides direct services to approximately 6000 young people across 4 Local Government Areas (Ipswich City, Lockyer Valley, Somerset and Scenic Rim Regional areas).
ICYS operates a drop in centre where young people can access computers and other resources from the ICYS Library. The Youth Mentor will supervise and provide general support to young people accessing this facility.
• Supervise and interact with young people accessing the resources in the ICYS drop in centre
• Assist young people to utilise ICYS resources
• Assist young people with homework / projects / general paperwork
• Assist with other tasks as required
General Skills / Qualifications:
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Sound knowledge of computer systems
• Sound literacy and numeracy skills
• Must have or be eligible to obtain a Working With Children Blue Card (Blue Cards are available free of charge to eligible volunteers)