Volunteer Position Description
Title: Project Officer – Independent Living Resources
Program: ICYS Administration
Hours: Flexible – fixed term project
Location: Based at ICYS – 17 Thorn Street IPSWICH 4305 (possibility for remote volunteering)
ICYS Ipswich Community Youth Service is a not-for-profit community based organisation that supports and assists at risk young people aged 12-25, their families and their communities to identify their strengths, make positive decisions and become active citizens. For 30 years, ICYS has been providing support and assistance to young people based on individual need including assistance with educational engagement, housing and homelessness, vocational training, disability support, information, referral, advocacy, practical assistance, drop-in, emergency relief and recreational activities in Ipswich and the surrounding regions.
Each year ICYS provides direct services to approximately 6000 young people across 4 Local Government Areas (Ipswich City, Lockyer Valley, Somerset and Scenic Rim Regional areas).
The Independent Living Resources Project aims to create a series of informative booklets / flyers with advice for young people transitioning into independent living including topics such as financial advice (budgeting), home maintenance, meal planning (simple and inexpensive recipes), personal care (health and hygiene) etc. The Project Officer will be responsible for researching, writing and designing one or more of these resources.
• Research information and advice for each topic
• Write and present the information in a youth friendly format
• Assist with other tasks as required
General Skills / Qualifications:
• Excellent literacy skills
• Interest / experience in non-fiction writing
• Intermediate Microsoft Office skills
• Must have or be eligible to obtain a Working With Children Blue Card (Blue Cards are available free of charge to eligible volunteers)