Volunteer Position Description
Title: Playgroup Assistant
Hours: Every Friday 9am – 12pm
Location: Based at ICYS – 17 Thorn Street IPSWICH 4305
ICYS Ipswich Community Youth Service is a not-for-profit community based organisation that supports and assists at risk young people aged 12-25, their families and their communities to identify their strengths, make positive decisions and become active citizens. For 30 years, ICYS has been providing support and assistance to young people based on individual need including assistance with educational engagement, housing and homelessness, vocational training, disability support, information, referral, advocacy, practical assistance, drop-in, emergency relief and recreational activities in Ipswich and the surrounding regions.
Each year ICYS provides direct services to approximately 6000 young people across 4 Local Government Areas (Ipswich City, Lockyer Valley, Somerset and Scenic Rim Regional areas).
The ICYS Playgroup is for young parents female or male (and expectant parents) aged 14 – 25 years. The playgroup sessions focus on learning through play whilst also involving workshops, activities, outings and general chat time. The Playgroup Assistant will support staff with the planning and operational aspects of the group.
• Assist with preparing activity materials and morning tea
• Purchase activity materials as required
• Source suitable activities and events
• Transport clients to and from playgroup in an ICYS vehicle
• Assist staff with other duties as required
General Skills / Qualifications:
• Good interpersonal skills, comfortable working with young children
• Open QLD driver’s license (good driving history)
• Must have or be eligible to obtain a Working With Children Blue Card (Blue Cards are available free of charge to eligible volunteers)